Piedmont and Western Railroad Club
Raleigh, North Carolina. Raleigh's last streetcars operated on
Saturday, March 11, 1933.
March 1, 1933: A ceremony was
scheduled to start at Noon on Fayetteville St. in front of City
Hall to mark the inaugural runs of buses which would replace all
streetcars within the next two weeks. All six buses
delivered so far were to take part in the ceremony. The
buses were built by the Corbitt Co. of Henderson and the Hackney
Brothers Body Co. of Wilson, and seated 18 passengers.
March 6, 1933: Streetcars
last ran on the Hillsboro St. carline, with buses taking over
the next day.
March 11, 1933: Final day of
March 12, 1933: Raleigh now
Trolleys on Fayetteville Street, circa. 1920's
Fayetteville Street looking South from the State Capitol Building
(James E. Thiem, Raleigh). Alan Coleman collection
The following pictures are portions of a panoramic photo of
trolleys on Fayetteville Street in Raleigh, circa. 1900. The photo
was too large to scan in one piece so it is presented in two
sections. The photographer is unknown.
©1996-2012 Piedmont and Western