Piedmont and Western Railroad Club
A North Carolina Railroad Station in
Newton had two stations prior to the one depicted below. Both
served the narrow gauge Chester run and were only simple wooden
buildings and a freight platform. The WNCRR mainline came through
Newton and Conover in 1886 but a new depot was not built until 1924.
The contractor was the J. D. Elliott Building Co.
The 1924 station was originally used by Southern Railway.
Later by Norfolk Southern. This station had a platform on the rear to
serve a connection to the Carolina & North-western RR. The station
has been moved and refurbished. It now houses an O-gauge model railroad
layout and a small railroad museum operated by the Alexander Chapter of
the National Railroad Historical Society. The Alexander Chapter and the Newton
Depot Authority are currently building a narrow guage museum behind the depot
to house restored cars and locomotives, both narrow gauge and standary gauge.
The first locomotive to be moved on site is ex-Virginia-Carolina 2-6-0 mogul #50.
Some pictures of the un restored loco are also shown below.
Click here to see the
photo sequence of the station being moved.
The following six photos show the restored depot
And here is Virginia-Carolina #50 awaiting restoration.
©1996-2011 Piedmont and Western