The P&W Supplement to Railroads of North Carolina
by Alan Coleman
Since the opening of the first permanent railway in 1833, hundreds of railroad companies have operated in North Carolina. Rail transportation, faster and more efficient than other methods of the era, opened new markets for the products of North Carolina’s farms, factories, and mines. Over the years, North Carolina rail companies have ranged in size from well-engineered giants like the Southern Railway to temporary logging railroads like the Hemlock. Cross ties and rails were laid across almost every conceivable terrain: tidal marshes, sand hills, rolling piedmont, and mountain grades. Vulnerable to the turbulent and unregulated economies of the day, few railroad companies escaped reorganizations and receiverships during their corporate lives, often leaving tangled and contradictory histories in their passing.
The information in this supplement and that which accompanies the over 200 photographs images appearing in the Arcadia book were compiled through the help of many folks:
Mac Connery, Doug Walker,and Ken Marsh opened the doors to many of the photographers credited in the Arcadia book . Images were also found through the help of Michael Bickham of the Norfolk Southern Corporation; Zoe Rhine and Betsy Murray of Asheville’s Pack Memorial Library; Kim Cumber and Vann Evans of the North Carolina Office of Archives and History; Beverly Tetterton of the New Hanover Public Library; Kurt Bell of the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania; Thomas Mossbeck and Brent Lembert of the Kalmbach Memorial Library; C. Pat Cates, Dick Hillman, and Sallie Loy hosted my visits to the Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History, which also houses the archives of the Southern Railway Historical Association. The Southern Museum’s archives contain a priceless collection of Poor’s Manuals of the Railroads and Moody’s Steam Railroads, which are invaluable in tracing railroad histories. Mark Koenig of the Wilmington Railroad Museum and Edna Yates of the Chadbourn Depot Museum were equally generous in providing information, photographs, and time. My thanks also go to Ed Lewis of the Aberdeen and Rockfish, Carl Hollowell of the Aberdeen, Carolina and Western, Ed Thum of the Kettle Falls International Railway, and Steve Head of the North Carolina Department of Transportation’s Rail Division for providing answers to questions which had confounded months of searching. My thanks also to map expert Basil Watkins of Canterbury, England for tracing many obscure lines. S. David Carriker not only loaned photographs but spent hours checking my text for accuracy. David’s research of North Carolina’s railroads is the benchmark by which others are judged, that being said, any errors and omissions in this book are mine alone – our respective sources were sometimes at odds with each other.
Aberdeen and Asheboro Railway (1897-1907). The merger of the Aberdeen and West End and the Asheboro and Montgomery railroads, the A&A also ran from Biscoe to Mount Gilead and operated the Carthage and Pinehurst and the Jackson Springs railroads. The Railroad became a Railway in September.
Aberdeen Forwarding Company (1892-1893). A six-mile, three-foot gauge logging road, the Aberdeen Forwarding Company was succeeded by the Moore County Railroad.
Alamance Railway (1920-1922). The Alamance was the successor operator of the Piedmont Railway and Electric’s 14-mile trolley line in the county of the same name.
Albemarle and Raleigh Railroad (1883-1894). Successor to the Seaboard and Raleigh Railroad, the 53.33-mile A&R connected Tarboro to Plymouth. The company was acquired by the Wilmington and Weldon in January 1894.
Alma and Little Rock Railroad (1882-1890). The first of several railroads to operate around the town of Alma, the company was sold in January 1890 to become the Maxton, Alma and Rowland Railroad.
Alma Lumber Company (1895-1907). A logging railroad with common carrier status, the Alma Lumber Company’s rail operations were sold in 1907 to become the Alma Railroad.
Alma Railroad (1907-1911). The former Alma Lumber Company logging railroad, this 7.6-mile road ran from Alma to Midway. The company became the Maxton, Alma and Southbound Railroad in March 1911.
Apalachia Railroad (1900-1902). The 12-mile long Apalachia ran from its namesake town on the Tennessee border into North Carolina’s Schuler Creek valley. The company was reorganized as the Apalachia and Cleveland Railroad in 1902.
Apalachia and Cleveland Railroad (1902-1909). Successor to the Apalachia Railroad, the Apalachia and Cleveland was abandoned in 1909.
Appalachian Interurban Railroad (1905-1911). A grand name for a horse-car line in Henderson, the Appalachian Interurban was sold in 1912 to the Henderson Traction Company.
Asheboro and Montgomery Railroad (1896-1897). The Asheboro and Montgomery built a 22.75 mile line from Star to Asheboro before becoming part of the Aberdeen and Asheboro Railway.
Asheville and Weaverville Electric Railway and Power Company (1901-1909 The predecessor of the Asheville and Eastern Tennessee Railroad, this trolley line had 7.75 miles of track.
Asheville Southern Railway ( 1906-1941). The Southern Railway acquired the Asheville Southern and its five mile line in Buncombe County as part of it purchase of the Asheville and Craggy Mountain.
Atlanta and Richmond Air Line Railway (1873-1887). This 268-mile five-foot gauge line from Atlanta to Charlotte became the Atlanta and Charlotte Airline in 1887.
Atlanta, Knoxville and Northern Railway (1896-1905). Successor to the Marietta and North Georgia Railway, the AK&N standard-gauged its line and bridged the Hiwassee River at Murphy to interchange with the Southern Railway in 1900. The L&N owned all of the AK&N’s stock by 1905.
Atlantic and Western Railroad (1903-1927). The A&W ran from Sanford to Jonesboro and was extended an additional six miles to Broadway by 1905. The company was auctioned in August 1927 and reorganized as the Atlantic and Western Railway.
Atlantic Coast Line Railroad of Virginia (1900). Created by the merger of the Wilmington and Weldon, the Southeastern, the Norfolk and Carolina, and the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad of South Carolina, the company operated for seven days before being renamed as the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad.
Atlantic, Tennessee and Ohio Railroad (1860-1863; 1871-1894). This 45.91-mile railway from Charlotte to Statesville was scavenged for its rails in 1863. Rebuilt by 1871 and leased to the Richmond and Danville, the AT&O became part of the Southern.
Bayside and Yeatesville Railroad (1885-1887). A three and a half-foot gauge logging road, this 12-mile line ran from Bath to Yeatesville in Beaufort County. The company was sold in 1887 to become the second Roanoke River and Lumber Company name.
Beaufort and Pamlico Railroad (1900-1905). Primarily a logging operation, the 12-mile Beaufort and Pamlico was the successor of one Roanoke Railroad Lumber Company and the predecessor of another.
Beaufort and Western Railroad (1905-1937). The first railroad company to serve the docks at Morehead City and Beaufort, the four-mile long Beaufort and Western became a subsidiary of the Norfolk Southern Railway.
Beaufort Lumber Company Railroad [first] (1901-1903). This 26-mile freight-only line ran from Whiteville to Longwood became the Greenville and Vanceboro Railroad.
Beaufort Lumber Company Railroad [second] (1907-1933). Previously operated by the Whiteville Lumber Company, this three and a half-foot gauge logging line was the second railroad in Beaufort County to use the name.
Belt Railroad of Durham (1891-1899). Built by the Duke family to serve their tobacco factory, this 2.18 mile road was purchased by the Norfolk and Western on October 16, 1899.
Bladen, Columbus, and Florida Railroad (1882-1884). A grand name for a 16-mile logging which ran south from Abbotsburg to Newburgh in Robeson County.
Caldwell and Northern Railway (1893-1910). Built as a 24-mile line from Lenoir to Colletsville, the Caldwell and Northern was extended to Edgemont by 1906. The company was merged into Carolina and North-western Railway four years later.
Camp Bragg Railroad (1918-1919). A 2-foot gauge railroad used in the camp’s construction during World War I, the Camp Bragg line was abandoned six months after the Armistice.
Camp Lejeune Railroad (1954-present). Originally operated by the Norfolk Southern Railway, this 29.5 mile line from Havelock to Camp Lejeune was inherited by the Southern and subsequently by the Norfolk Southern Corporation.
Carolina and Georgia Railway (1919-1927). A 24.84–mile logging line from Andrews to Hayesville, the line became part of Tennessee and North Carolina Railway.
Carolina and Northeastern Railroad (1917-1931). This successor of the Northampton and Hertford Railway extended its line six miles to Lasker. The 15-mile railroad was succeeded by the Carolina and Northeastern Railway on June 12, 1931.
Carolina and Northeastern Railway (1931-1934). The successor to the Carolina and Northeastern Railroad, the line’s owners was abandoned the railroad on March 14.
Carolina and Tennessee Southern Railway (1909-1944). The Southern Railway operated this 13-mile line between Bushnell and Fontana. The line was closed on May 23, 1944 due to the rising waters of the Tennessee Valley Authority’s Fontana Lake.
Carolina and Yadkin River Railway (1912-1924). Successor to the Piedmont Railway, the Cape Fear and Yadkin linked Denton to High Rock and expanded another eight miles to connect with the High Point, Randleman, Asheboro and Southern Railroad. The company was acquired by the High Point, Thomasville and Denton Railroad.
Carolina Central Railway (1873-1880). Successor of the Wilmington, Charlotte, and Rutherfordton Railroad, the Carolina Central Railway had a 240 mile main line from Shelby to Wilmington by 1874. The company was reorganized as the Carolina Central Railroad on June 25.
Carolina, Glen Anna and Pee Dee Railway and Development Company (1905-1907). Successor to the North Carolina Mining, Manufacturing and Development Company, this 21-mile line was completed by 1906 from Glen to Denton and became the Carolina Valley Railway.
Carolina Northern Railroad (1900-1905). A 41-mile line between Lumberton and Marion, South Carolina, the company was in receivership by 1902 and acquired by the Raleigh and Charleston Railroad.
Carolina Railroad (1912-1931). Successor to the Kinston and Snow Hill Railroad, the 13-mile Carolina Railroad was wholly owned by the Norfolk Southern Railroad Company. Service ended with the line’s abandonment on July 30.
Carolina Rail Service (1994-2005). Successor to Carolina Rail Services Company, Carolina Rail Service operated the port tracks around Morehead City. The Morehead and South Fork Railroad took over CRS’ operations on August 31.
Carolina Rail Services Company (1986- 1994). This company operated the North Carolina Ports Railway Commission’s line from Morehead City to Radio Island and four miles of terminal tracks. The firm’s operations were assumed by Carolina Rail Service on June 30.
Carolina Valley Railway (1907-1909). Successor to the very dilapidated Carolina, Glen Anna and Pee Dee Railway and Development Company, the Carolina Valley soon fell into receivership. The Carolina Valley emerged as the Piedmont Railway in March.
Carthage and Pinehurst Railroad (1907-1922). Leased by the Aberdeen and Asheboro, the 12.5 mile Carthage and Pinehurst was part of the A&A’s consolidation into the Norfolk Southern on February 16, 1912. The line was abandoned on November 8, 1922.
Carthage and Western Railroad (1893-1898). An 11-mile temporary logging road operation of the Carthage Railroad, the line ran from Carthage to Curriersville.
Cashie and Chowan Railroad and Lumber Company (1883-1913). A nine-mile, three and a half-foot gauge railroad from Howard to Howard Mill, the line was abandoned in 1913.
Cashie and Roanoke Railroad (1893). A three-foot gauge line built byBranning Manufactoring Company, its route was used by the Wellington and Powellsville Railroad five years later.
Charleston, Cincinnati, and Chicago Railroad (1886-1894). The "3-C’s" never progressed beyond a segment from Charleston to Marion and one from Allison Mills, Tennessee to Huntdale. The Ohio River and Charleston Railway was organized to take over the CC&C in November 1894.
Charleston, Sumter and Northern Railroad (1892-1895). The CS&N’s 10.83 mile line from Bennettsville, South Carolina to Gibson opened on October 1, 1892. The company became part of Wilmington and Weldon.
Charlotte, Columbia, and Augusta Railroad (1869-1894). The consolidation of the Charlotte and South Carolina and the Columbia and Augusta, only 13.5 miles of this 191-mile line were in North Carolina. The CC&A was controlled by the Richmond and Danville by 1878and became part of the Southern on July 10, 1894.
Charlotte and South Carolina Railroad (1852-1869). A five-foot gauge line from Charlotte to Columbia, the C&SC was absorbed by Charlotte, Columbia, and Augusta Railroad in July 1869.
Chatham Railroad (1871-1872). This 28-mile line from Raleigh to Lockville (Moncure) was sold to the Raleigh and Augusta Air-Line Railroad on January 1,1872.
Cheraw and Darlington Railroad (1892-1898). Successor to the Cheraw and Salisbury Railroad , the C&D was merged into the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad of South Carolina.
Cheraw and Salisbury Railroad (1880-1892). A 26-mile line from Cheraw , South Carolina to Wadesboro, the Cheraw and Salisbury was acquired by Cheraw and Darlington.
Chowan and Aulander Railroad (1902-1910). A three-foot gauge logging line based in Lewiston, the C&A ran 30 miles from Harrellsville to Aulander before its abandonment.
Chowan River Railway and Baltimore Steamboat Company (1883-1886). The predecessor company of the Chowan and Southern Railroad, the company was heavily reliant on its steamers on the Roanoke River for revenues.
Chowan and Southern Railroad (1886-1889). The C&S operated a 100-mile line from Tarboro to Pinners Point, Virginia before becoming a part of the newly formed Norfolk and Carolina Railroad.
Clarksville and North Carolina Railroad (1888-1894). A 7.1-mile line from Clarksville Virginia to the North Carolina state line, the company was leased by the Richmond and Danville on November 12,1888 and was purchased by the Southern Railway on August 22, 1894.
Clinton and Warsaw Railroad (1887). The Clinton and Warsaw’s 13-mile line between its two namesake towns was taken over and completed by the Wilmington and Weldon in the year as its founding.
Consolidated Railways, Light and Power Company (1901-1907). Successor to the Wilmington Sea Coast Railroad, Consolidated converted the line from steam to trolley cars by 1902.
Dawson Railroad (1868-1884). Running from Dawson Landing to Pine Woods, this seven- mile line was abandoned in 1884.
Durham and Charlotte Railroad (1896-1911). The D&C offered service from Cumnock to Gulf by 1910. The line became part of the Raleigh, Charlotte and Southern.
Durham and Northern Railway (1889-1901). Funded by towns of Henderson and Durham, the 41.4 mile D&N was part of the Seaboard Air Line’s Raleigh Division by the 1890s and fully acquired by the SAL in November 1901.
Duval Transportation (March–November 1987). Operator of the 37-mile ex-CSX Mullins, South Carolina to Whiteville line, the company was sold to the Mid Atlantic Railroad.
East Carolina Land and Railway Company (1893-1894). A 37-mile line from Jacksonville to New Bern, the company was absorbed by Wilmington, New Bern and Norfolk Railroad.
East Tennessee, Virginia and Georgia Railroad (1869-1886). A major railroad system in its day, the company’s only North Carolina presence was a 43.5 line from Morristown, Tennessee to a R&D connection at Paint Rock. The company was reorganized as the ETV&G Railway in July 1886
Egypt Railway of North Carolina (1892-1908). An eight-mile line from Colon to Egypt (renamed Cumnock in 1895), the Egypt Railway served the state’s only coal mines. T Egypt was subject to on-and-off operation by Raleigh and Western Railway until both stopped operations in March 1908.
Florence Railroad (1888-1898). Owned by the Wilmington and Weldon and later by the Atlantic Coast Line, the 40.77 mile Florence Railroad ran from Rowland to Pee Dee, South Carolina.
French Broad Railroad (1919-1925). Chartered to operate the Madison County Railroad, the French Broad Railroad relied on rented locomotives and equipment from the Broad River Lumber Company before going out of business on January 1, 1926.
Glendon and Gulf Manufacturing and Mining Company Railroad (1893-1896). The Glendon and Gulf’s railroad ran 9.27 miles from Gulf to Bellville. The line was purchased by the Durham and Charlotte Railroad on July 15, 1896.
Great Smoky Mountains Railroad (1988-present). Faced with abandonment by the Southern, the Murphy Branch was saved by state purchase and leased operation. The Silva to Andrews portion of the line has been owned by American Heritage Railways since 1999.
Greensville and Roanoke Railroad (1827-1855). Operated (and ultimately purchased) by the Petersburg Railroad, this 21.3-mile line ran from the Hicksford (present-day Emporia,Virginia to Gaston.
Greenville and Vanceboro Railroad (1903-1911). Successor to the original Beaufort County Lumber Company railroad, the line was abandoned in 1911.
Halifax and Scotland Neck Railroad (1882-1883). The "Scotland Neck Railroad" operated on 6.25 miles of wooden rails to Edwards Ferry. The Wilmington and Weldon bought and closed the line in 1883.
Hamilton Railroad and Lumber Company (1887-1895). The Hamilton Railroad operated a 30.5-mile, three-foot gauge railroad from Princeville to Hamilton on the Roanoke River. The Hamilton fell victim to larger competitors and reverted to only lumber-only operations by 1895.
Hendersonville and Brevard Railway, Telegraph and Telephone Company (1894-1899). This 21.7-mile line connected its namesake towns to Rosman and Lake Toxaway. The company to became the Transylvania Railroad on April 12,1899.
Hoffman and Troy Railroad (1891-1904. A 19-mile Richmond county logging line which operated additional wooden tram tracks, the Hoffman and Troy connected Hoffman, Derby and Gibson Mills.
Jackson Springs Railroad (1901-1907). Leased and operated by the Aberdeen and Asheboro before its purchase by the latter in 1907, this four-mile line ran from West End to Jackson Springs.
Kinston-Carolina Railroad (1910-1918). The Kinston-Carolina was incorporated in January 1910 by new owner Norfolk Southern as the successor to the Kinston and Carolina. The Kinston-Carolina took on the third and final version of its name in 1918.
Kinston Carolina Railroad (1918-1929). By now extending 30.47 miles from Kinston to Beulaville, this Kinston-Carolina successor was abandoned in June 1929.
Kinston and Snowhill Railroad (1903-1913). The successor of the private Hine Brothers Lumber Company railroad, this 15.1-mile common-carrier line ran from Kinston to Snow Hill. The K&S was reorganized as the Carolina Railroad.
Louisburg Railroad (1885-1901). This 10-mile line from its namesake town to Franklinton spent most of its life as a leased property, first by Raleigh and Gaston and later by R&G successor Seaboard Air Line.
Madison County Railway (1911-1919). Successor to the private Laurel River Logging Company Railroad, this 30-mile logging line ran from Runion was leased to the French Broad Railroad in 1919.
Maxton, Alma and Rowland Railroad (1889-1893). Successor to the Alma and Little Rock Railroad, the Maxton, Alma and Rowland was abandoned in 1893.
Meherrin Valley Railroad (1882-1887). Projecting a line from Margaretsville to Hicksford (South Emporia) Virginia, the Meherrin Valley only built 10 miles of track to Claresville by its opening day in October 1882. The railroad failed and was reorganized as the Meherrin Valley Railway in March 1887.
Meherrin Valley Railway (1887-1892). Successor to the Meherrin Valley Railroad, the railway completed its 17.7 line from Margaretsville to Hicksford, Virginia. Financial success did not follow, and the line abandoned in August 1892.
Midland North Carolina Railroad (1881-1883). Completed in 1883, the Midland operated its 22 mile line from Goldsboro to Smithfield for one year before being foreclosed and leased to the Atlantic and North Carolina. In 1885 the line was purchased by the Wilmington and Weldon.
Milton and Sutherlin Narrow Gauge Railroad Company (1878-1894). This 6.5-mile narrow gauge line ran from Milton to a connection with the Richmond and Danville at Sutherlin. Leased by the R&D from 1882 until 1894, by which time Atlantic and Danville had arrived in Milton. The Southern Railway operated the line from July 1 until September 6, 1894.
Montgomery Railroad (1901-1904). Successor to the Troy Manufacturing Company railroad, the 5.5 mile, narrow-gauge Montgomery Railroad was abandoned by 1905.
Moore Central Railroad (1945-1947). Revenue traffic on the former Moore Central Railway did not improve under a new name and ownership. The Moore Central Railroad made its final run in January 1947.
Morehead and South Fork Railroad (2005- present). Current operator of the state’s Morehead City area tracks, the Morehead and South Fork is owned by Gulf and Ohio Railways.
Murfreesboro Railroad (1892-1896). A seven- mile line from Pendleton to Murfreesboro, the company was absorbed in 1896 by the Roanoke and Tar River Railroad.
Narron Central Railroad (1918-1924). The Narron Central ran a seven mile north from Kenly in Johnston County.
New Hanover Transit Company (1887-1895). This standard-gauge line carried beach visitors from a landing near Telfair’s Mill Creek on the Cape Fear River to Carolina Beach. In 1889 the line was rerouted onto a pier at Doctor’s Point which facilitated direct steamer-to-train transfers. In June 1895 the company was reorganized as the New Hanover Transit Company Railroad.
Norfolk Southern Railroad Company (1883-1891). The successor of the former Elizabeth City and Northern, the company fell into receivership by 1889. Two years later the Norfolk Southern Railroad was reorganized as the Norfolk and Southern Railroad.
Northampton and Hertford Railroad (1893-1911). Reorganized from the Gumberry and Jackson Railroad on October 6,1893, this nine-mile line from Gumberry to Jackson opened on January 17, 1894. The Northampton and Hertford was reorganized as the Carolina and Northeastern Railroad in 1911.
Northampton and Hertford Railway (1911-1917). The successor of the Northampton and Hertford Railroad, the company was sold on January 8, 1917 to become the Carolina and Northeastern Railroad.
North and South Carolina Railroad Company (1899). Conceived as a line which would extend to Columbia, South Carolina, the company only managed to build a five-mile line from Virgilina, Virginia to the Holloway Mines. The Southern Railway gained ownership of the line when it leased the Atlantic and Danville and operated the route as a branch line until its abandonment in 1940.
North Carolina Mining, Manufacturing and Development Company (1903-1905). The first of a string of Thomasville-area railroads controlled by the same group of investors, this company was sold on March 2, 1095 to become the Carolina, Glen Anna and Pee Dee Railway and Development Company.
Ocona Lufty Railroad (1918-1932). The successor of Champion Fibre Company’s narrow-gauge logging railroad inside the Eastern Band of the Cherokee reservation, the 13-mile three-foot gauge Ocona Lufty was abandoned in January 1932.
Oxford and Clarksville Railroad (1888-1894). A 49.32-mile line from the Virginia state line to Durham, the Oxford and Clarksville was leased by the Richmond and Danville from 1884 until 1894. The company was purchased by the Southern Railway on August 22, 1894.
Oxford and Coast Line Railroad (1902-1906). The Seaboard Air Line built, leased, and operated this 4.5-mile branch from Dickerson to Oxford. The SAL made an outright purchase of the Oxford and Coast Line in June 1906.
Oxford and Henderson Railroad (1881-1894). A 12.94-mile line between its namesake towns, the Oxford and Henderson was controlled by Richmond Terminal until 1888 and the Richmond and Danville until 1894. The line was purchased by the Southern in 1894.
Palmetto Railroad (1887-1895). After completing an 19.7-mile line from Hamlet to Cheraw, the Palmetto Railroad was leased to the Raleigh and Augusta Air-Line. The Palmetto fell victim to financial troubles and was sold on August 30,1895 to become the Palmetto Railway.
Palmetto Railway (1895-1900). Successor of the bankrupt Palmetto Railway, the line was to become part of the Seaboard Air Lines’s Richmond-Florida mainline in later years.
Pamlico, Oriental and Western Railway (1905-1906). This 17.5 mile Bayboro to New Bern line was completed in 1905 and became part of Norfolk and Southern Railway the following year.
Petersburg Railroad (1833-1898). With nine miles of track near Halifax, North Carolina, this Virginia-chartered company became North Carolinas first railroad operator in 1833. Within four years the Petersburg Railroad extended 60.44 miles from Petersburg, Virginia to Weldon. The Petersburg was taken over by Richmond and Petersburg Railroad in 1898.
Piedmont Railroad Company (1864-1880). This 48-mile line from Danville to Greensboro line was financed by the Confederacy to connect the Richmond and Danville to the North Carolina Railroad. The Piedmont was leased by the Richmond and Danville from 1868 until 1880, when the R&D purchased the line.
Piedmont Railway (1909-1912). The third name for the 21-mile "Glen Anna" line from Denton to Thomasville, the Piedmont Railway was merged into the Carolina and Yadkin River Railway in May 1912.
Piedmont Railway and Electric Company (1912-1920). Predecessor of the Alamance Railway, this company was a Burlington-area trolley operation.
Pittsboro Railroad (1885-1901). An 11.2-mile branch from Lockville (present day Moncure) to Pittsboro, the Pittsboro was leased to Seaboard Air Line predecessor Raleigh and Augusta Air-Line. The Pittsboro was merged into the Seaboard Air Line in 1901.
Portsmouth and Roanoke Rail Road (1836-1845). This 78.6 mile line from Portsmouth, Virgina to Weldon was sold at public auction in 1846 to become the Seaboard and Roanoke Railroad of Virginia.
Raleigh and Augusta Air-Line Railroad (1871-1900). Created by the purchase of the former Chatham Railroad, the company eventually ran from Raleigh to Gibson for a total of 98.75 miles. The Raleigh and Augusta became part of the Seaboard Air Line in 1900.
Raleigh and Eastern North Carolina Railroad (1903-1905). The Raleigh and Eastern North Carolina ran from Washington to Bridgeton with its Raleigh to Zebulon branch line. The company became the Raleigh and Pamlico Sound Railroad on February 2, 1905.
Raleigh and Pamlico Sound Railroad (1905-1906). A short-lived successor to the Raleigh and Eastern North Carolina Railroad, the Raleigh and Pamlico became part of the Norfolk and Southern Railway in 1906.
Raleigh and Western Railway (1893-1909). Operated by the owners of the Egypt Railroad, the nine-mile Raleigh and Western ran from Egypt to Harpers Cross Roads. The Raleigh and Western fell into receivership by 1907. In March 1909, the Raleigh and Western line began four months of ownership by the Sanford and Glendon Railroad.
Raleigh, Charlotte and Southern Railroad (1912-1914). This Norfolk Southern Railroad subsidiary consolidated the Aberdeen and Asheboro, the Raleigh and Southport Railroad, and the Durham and Charlotte railroads with the Sanford and Troy. The Raleigh Charlotte and Southern was absorbed in the Norfolk Southern on January 1, 1914
Randolph and Cumberland Railroad (1906-1907). Successor to the Carthage Railroad, the company had a life of only nine months before being reorganized as the Randolph and Cumberland Railway.
Red Springs Railway and Lumber Company (1888-1896). A seven mile, three-foot gauge logging line which ran from Red Springs northwest into Robeson County, the Red Spring Railway and Lumber Company was succeeded by the Red Springs and Bowmore Railroad.
Richmond, Petersburg and Carolina Railroad (1892-1900). Successor to the Virginia and Carolina Railroad, seven miles of the RP&C’s Petersburg, Virginia to Norlina route were in North Carolina. The company became part of the Seaboard Air Line in 1900.
Roanoke and Tar River Railroad (1887-1911). Leased by the Seaboard and Roanoke Railroad prior to its completion, the 32.3-mile Roanoke and Tar River linked Boykins, Virginia to Lewiston and also operated the former Murfreesboro Railroad, until May 5, 1897. The Roanoke and Tar River was absorbed by the Seaboard Air Line on November 11, 1911.
Roanoke Railroad and Lumber Company [first] (1889-1901). The first of three companies to use the same, the original Roanoke Railroad and Lumber Company operated a 34-mile, three-foot gauge logging road which ran from Washington to Plymouth. The company was sold and renamed as the Washington & Plymouth Railroad in 1901.
Roanoke Railroad and Lumber Company [second] (1887-1900). Successor of the Bayside and Yeatesville Railroad, this 12 mile, three and a half foot gauge line was sold to become the Beaufort and Pamilico Railroad.
Roanoke Railway (1914-1926). Owned by lumber producer Camp Manufacturing, the Roanoke Railway’s 5.64-mile line ran from a Seaboard Air Line connection at Thelma to a logging camp named Homer. The Roanoke Railway was abandoned in 1926.
Roanoke Valley Railroad (1855-1863). Only 22 miles of the Roanoke Valley’s intended 53 mile route were in operation by the outbreak of the American Civil War. The Confederate government ordered the abandonment of the Clarksville, Virginia to Manson line in 1863.
Rowland Lumber Company (1921-1935). Based in the Duplin County town of Bowdens, the Rowland operated 45 miles of former John L. Roper Company logging lines.
Sanford and Glendon Railroad (1909). Owner of the former Egypt and Raleigh and Western lines, the Sanford and Glendon Railroad enjoyed a life-span of less than four months before being reorganized as the Sanford and Troy Railroad.
Sanford and Troy Railroad (1910-1912). Inheriting the Sanford and Glendon’s nearly inoperable lines, the Sanford and Troy rebuilt the eight mile line from Egypt to Colon by June 1910. In February 1912 the Sanford and Troy became part of the Raleigh, Charlotte and Southern Railway.
Seaboard and Raleigh Railroad ( 1873-1882). Successor to the never-operational Williamston and Tarborough Railroad, the Seaboard and Raleigh managed to link its predecessor’s namesake towns in 1873. The Seaboard & Raleigh was sold to the Albemarle and Raleigh Railroad on February 7, 1882.
Seaboard and Roanoke Railroad of Virginia (1846-1849). Successor to the Portsmouth and Roanoke Rail Road, the company was consolidated into the Seaboard and Roanoke Railroad on February 22, 1849.
Snowbird Valley Railroad (1908-1916). This 3-foot gauge logging road ran 13.5 miles from Andrews to Snowbird. The line was sold for scrap at an April 1916 judicial sale.
South Carolina and Georgia Extension Railroad (1898-1902). Organized by the Southern Railway to operate the former Ohio River and Charleston Railway Marion line, the company was fully absorbed by the Southern on June 28,1902.
Southeastern Railroad (1897-1900). This 11-mile line from Ashepole (present-day Fairmont) to Elrod became part of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad of Virginia in 1900.
Spartanburg and Asheville Railroad (1878-1884). Connecting its namesake towns with one of the steepest mainline grades in the country (5.1 %), the S&A reached Pace’s Gap (present day Saluda) on July 4,1878. It would be 1882 before the destitute line was extended to Hendersonville. The company was sold on April 4, 1884 and reorganized as the Asheville and Spartanburg Railroad.
Statesville and Western Railroad (1887-1894). A 20-mile line from Statesville to Taylorsville, the line was successively sold to the Richmond & Danville, the Southern Railway, and the town of Taylorsville, which sold it in 1946 to become the Alexander Railroad.
Swannanoa Railroad (1911-1916). Incorporated to purchase the four-mile Bee Tree Railroad, the Swannanoa was abandoned by August 1916.
The Wilmington, Columbia and Augusta Railroad (1870-1888). Successor to the Wilmington and Carolina Railroad, the company dropped its "The" and reorganized as the under the name Wilmington, Columbia and Augusta Railroad in 1888.
Troy Manufacturing Company (1899-1901). A 5.5 mile, three-foot gauge logging line based in the community of Vestal, the company was sold on February 8, 1901 to become the Montgomery Railroad.
United States Railroad Administration (December 28, 1917- March 21, 1920). For a twenty-five month period during and following World War I, every railroad in the United States was nationalized and operated by the federal government.
Virginia and Carolina Coast (1906). The former Suffolk and Carolina Railway, the Virginia and Carolina Coast only lasted ten months before becoming part of the Norfolk Southern.
Virginia Southern Railroad (1988-1996). This Oxford to Burkeville, Virginia line was sold by Norfolk Southern to RailTex in 1988. Still shown on maps as the Virginia Southern Division of the North Carolina and Virginia Railroad, the Clarksville, Virginia to Oxford portion of the line has been dormant since January 1996.
Waccamaw Railroad (1909-1911). Leased by the Waccamaw Lumber Company, this 18-mile line ran from Makatoka in Brunswick County to Bolton in Columbus County.
Wellington and Powellsville Railroad (1893-1926). Successor to the Cashie and Roanoke Railroad, the company operated a 22-mile, three-foot gauge line from Windsor to Ahoskie. and 20 miles of logging branches. The "Walk and Push" was the predecessor to the standard-gauge Carolina Southern Railway Company, which bought the line on April 1, 1926.
Whiteville Lumber Company Railroad (1902-1916). This 27-mile, freight-only line ran from Whiteville to Longs.
Whiting Manufacturing Company (1906-1912). Based in the Swain County community of Judson, this 11 mile, three-foot gauge company ran up the valleys of the Nantahala and Little Tennessee rivers, with spurs up Panther Creek, Fox Branch and Welch Cove.
Wilmington and Carolina Railroad (January 1870-April 1870). The short-lived corporate successor to the foreclosed Wilmington and Manchester Railroad, the company was reorganized as The Wilmington Columbia and Augusta Railroad.
Wilmington and Conway Railroad (1895-1896). The former Wilmington, Chadbourn and Conway Railroad, the short-lived Wilmington and Conway became part of the Wilmington, Columbia and Augusta Railroad on January 1, 1896.
Wilmington and Manchester Railroad (1853-1870). Originally running from Wilmington to Camden Crossing, South Carolina, the 161.5 mile Wilmington and Manchester failed in 1870 and was reorganized as the Wilmington and Carolina Railroad.
Wilmington and Raleigh Railroad (1840-1855). The first railroad company chartered in North Carolina, the Wilmington and Raleigh won approval in 1836 to change its destination to Weldon. The Wilmington and Raleigh’s 147-mile line was acknowledged as the longest continuous railroad in the world when it opened in 1840. The company renamed itself as the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad in 1855.
Wilmington, Chadbourn and Conway Railroad (1886-1895). The Wilmington, Chadbourn and Conway opened its 37-mile line from Conway, South Carolina to Chadbourn by February 1886. In 1895, the company was acquired by the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad of South Carolina which briefly operated it as the Wilmington and Conway Railroad.
Wilmington, Charlotte, & Rutherford Railroad (1857-1873). Reorganized from the paper-only Wilmington and Charlotte Railroad Company, the WC&R ran from Charlotte to by 1862; its Navassa (Wilmington) to Rockingham line included the nation’s longest straight section of track , an 78.9 mile stretch from East Arcadia to Laurel. The WC&R was foreclosed and became the Carolina Central Railway Company on May 17, 1873.
Winton Railroad (1891-1899). A 15-mile-long Bertie County logging road , the Winton used an uncommon four-foot gauge and 25-pound rails and was sold in 1899 to become the Winton Railroad and Lumber Company.
Winton Railroad and Lumber Company (1899-1902). Successor to the Winton Railroad, the line was abandoned in 1902.